Sunday, October 21, 2012

Lasagna Old Style



My guests for Sunday dinner were my mom and dad who brought the wine for this occasion. The main meal chosen was Lasagna Old Style which is a basic recipe including ground beef and pork. Yes, I have made lasagna before so this wasn’t all that new, but it did remind of the time it takes to prepare a homemade meal. The first course was sliced tomatoes and fresh mozzarella drizzled with olive oil. I forgot fresh basil and the dish needed a little more salt but overall we loved the taste. Dinner was served with a salad, warm Italian bread and baked garlic. My salads are pretty basic, romaine lettuce, cucumbers and tomatoes with a light raspberry vinaigrette dressing. Pinched for time so next time I will make a homemade dressing. I love garlic…the smell of baked garlic spread on fresh bread further enhanced all the flavors of the meal. The red wine was by Masciarelli – a 2009 Montepulciano D’Abruzzo. I am not a wine connoisseur; but I really enjoyed the taste which was not too dry and not too sweet. After all that heavy food we finished the meal with coffee and cookies from Caputo’s. Sunday dinner was a success and well worth the time!

3 comments:

  1. The lasagna picture looks tasty and your detail description of the entire meal made me hungry. Sunday dinners with family are so important - keeps the family together and everyone shares their thoughts.
    Maria Gallegos

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lasagna is time consuming - but so worth it! It's a truly a labor of love. I've always preferred it with meat as well. How lovely to dine on Sunday with family - and wine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They say never judge a book by its cover. I am going to throw this rule out completely. The picture of this dish make me want to eat my computer. This lasagna will go great with a bottle of red wine. I am going to surprise my wife for dinner tonight. Thanks for this great recipe.

    Kevin

    ReplyDelete